Although it’s technically Tuesday now, I’d like to give an update post concerning the first week of NaNoWriMo. As some of you may know, I was at first quite hesitant to join in on the project. I had never participated before, and the idea of it was very daunting.
Still – I haven’t completed a novel in over six years, so I figured this was the perfect time to do it. I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m a short story/flash fiction writer at heart, but I would still love to have a novel completed. Just to say I have completed a novel, I think.
Regardless – here goes my review of week one.
Word Count: 20,843 (as of Sunday evening)
Chapters: 3 (oddly enough)
* A much better word count total than I was expecting for the first week.
* I’ve done a lot of improvising, adding scenes that weren’t on my outline and building some additional depth for my characters
* I’ve got down the process – start at midnight, insert earbuds, listen to my Red Dead Redemption playlist and write, write, write.
Areas to Work On:
* Break the chapters up. My chapters are massive right now – I’ll definitely need to go back through and chop them up some more.
* Less dialogue, More Action. Right now dialogue dominates my novel – although recent additions have provided some much needed action, albeit not the life-or-death kind.
* Get back on track. Although my deviations from the plot have been worth it, I think it might be time to get back on track with the outline or this story will end up way over the word count goal! (Wait…is that a bad thing?)
Sitting at the beginning of the second week, I feel I’m in a good place. My current word count is just shy of 30,000 – which thrills me to death. I’m over halfway there and I think – for the first time in six years or more – I’m about to finish a novel.
P.S: Where are you in the NaNoWriMo adventure? 🙂